Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sketching

8"H by 6"W, on paper. 
(click for enlargement) 
 
Today I prepared more panels for painting and worked on a preliminary drawing for one of the two four foot panels. I like this drawing a lot and hope that the composition translates without seeming too crowded- it's hard to tell without putting colors in the sketch, which may be my next step before beginning the actual painting.

My drawings turn out much sharper than the paintings do, which says a lot about how I use the brush versus how I use a pencil.  When I draw, the aim is to define the borders of an object, how it sits in the space, and how the edges and features of the object affect the composition. When I paint, the preliminary layout becomes a little obscured and I begin to very obviously favor certain features and discard others.

No comments:

Post a Comment